From The Alpha and the Omega - Chapter Six
by Jim A. Cornwell, Copyright © 1995, all rights reserved
" Birth of Jesus Christ and Lineage of Luke and Matthew "
- Luke 3:23 through 3:38 represents the lineage of Jesus from Adam to Abraham to King David's son Nathan to Salathiel and Zorobabel to Joseph.
- Matthew 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Matthew 1:17 So all the generations
from Abraham to David are fourteen generations;
and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations;
and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.
This begins with Abraham to David the shepherd age 28; then David the King and his lineage from his son Solomon to the Exile where Jechonias begat Salathiel who begat Zorobabel which leads to Joseph the husband of Mary, who begat Jesus who is called Christ.
Notice the numbered sequences of 14 and 11 in relation to the sequence of verses.
One should note that at the Exile to Babylon Salathiel and his son Zorobabel (Zerubbabel) were a rejoining of the two lineage’s of Jesus and the end of the kings of Judah.
The books of the Apocrypha contains historical material which formed the basis of Josephus' description of the exiles' return to Zion from Babylonia. Its major addition to the biblical account is the "debate of the three young men" which explains how Zerubbabel, depicted as a bodyguard to Darius I, gained permission from the Persian king for the Jews to rebuild Jerusalem.
1 Macabees (from about 110 B.C.) is the chief source for a history of the events of the Hasmonean revolt from the conquest of Alexander the Great and is the primary source for information on the events celebrated on the festival of Hanukkah.
In Zechariah 4:1-6 An angel talked with him out of his sleep and which he did not know what he was seeing in his vision of seeing a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof: Then he describes two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof. The angel answered, saying, 'This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
- 4:7 Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it.
- 4:8 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
- 4:9 The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you.
- 4:10 For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth. Zechariah then asked what are the two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?
- The angel answered in 4:14 Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the LORD of the whole earth.
Nehemiah 12:1 Now these are the priests and the Levites that went up with Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua: Seraiah, Jeremiah, Ezra,
These were the chief of the priests and of their brethren in the days of Jeshua.
- 12:2 Amariah, Malluch, Hattush,
- 12:3 Shechaniah, Rehum, Meremoth,
- 12:4 Iddo, Ginnetho, Abijah,
- 12:5 Miamin, Maadiah, Bilgah,
- 12:6 Shemaiah, and Joiarib, Jedaiah,
- 12:7 Sallu, Amok, Hilkiah, Jedaiah.
Haggai 2: 20 And again the word of the LORD came unto Haggai in the four and twentieth day of the month, saying,
- 2:21 Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth;
- 2:22 And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.
- 2:23 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the LORD, and will make thee as a signet (Heb. hotham, seal, signet, tabb’ath, signet ring, hatham, to seal, Gr. sphragizo, katasphragizomai, to seal): for I have chosen thee, saith the LORD of hosts.
Go back to Home Page
Return to the Table of Contents - Chapter Six or
go to the next subject Star of Bethlehem and Coma Berenices